Today, dental technology has advanced so much that there is a breadth of dental treatments available to transform the look and feel of your teeth. In turn, this has also broadened the responsibilities of the dental team at the clinic. None more so than a cosmetic dentist. A cosmetic dentist was unheard of before technology advanced dentistry. Now, they play a pivotal role in the way your teeth look.
A cosmetic dentist can be an unfamiliar term for many patients. We’ve all heard of a general dentist, but what is a cosmetic dentist? This guide will help breakdown the differences between both. It’s recommended that you understand the difference between the two roles so that you perform the right treatment for your needs.
The Dental Difference
Let’s take a look at the difference between a general dentist and a cosmetic dentist:
Cosmetic treatments are more concerned with the aesthetically-pleasing look, meaning how well your teeth look and how it displays in public when you smile. Where your teeth look discolored or unfit, you should visit a cosmetic dentist.
A general dentist is more focused on the preventative procedures for any dental problems you experience. A general dentist is the primary carer of your oral health needs and primarily focuses on preventative and restorative dental services.
Cosmetic Dentistry Treatments
Below are the common forms of cosmetic dentistry treatment for the transformation of your smile you deserve:
- Teeth Whitening Treatment – Remove stubborn stains and lighten the color of your teeth to shine those pearly whites.
- Dental Crowns – Protect your damaged tooth with a “cap” over your damaged teeth to hide any discoloration.
- Porcelain Veneers – Ready for that Hollywood smile? Veneers are thin-shaped porcelain shells that are applied to the front of the teeth to apply a new smile.
- Check-Up and Clean – Regular scale-and-polish treatment allows the dentist to look after your teeth and note down any considerations such as cavities and bacteria.
Read up on the aftercare tips after cosmetic dentistry by clicking here.
General Dentistry Treatments
Below are the common forms of general dentistry treatment for the transformation of your smile you deserve:
- Dental Implants – Continue to stimulate the bone and apply a natural-looking implant that allows your teeth to stay strong.
- Root Canal – If your teeth are decayed severely, there may be bits of the teeth that are healthy enough to be saved, and a root canal is best placed to protect it.
- Fillings and Dentures – With a functional or permanent temporary filling, it will effectively restore your appearance.
If you have concerns about the look and feel of your teeth, there are many treatments available to correct the concern to help keep your teeth straight. It is also important you understand the roles of both cosmetic and general dentists so that the right choice is made for your dental needs.
Improve the quality of your teeth now and book your appointment with Sutherland Dental by clicking here!