Are you stuck with fear when visiting the dentist? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. Dental visits are a frightening experience if you don’t visit regularly, simply because you’re unsure what to expect. One thing you should know is that it is common amongst many patients and not just you!
Anxiety can sometimes be uncontrollable. The danger of refraining from dental visits is that your oral health becomes negatively affected. You could become even more concerned if your teeth are in a poor state and whilst you want to visit the dentist, you feel unable to.
Continue to read with calm. Luckily, helpful remedies are available to help you cope with your anxiety during your dental visit. It is always important to seek help to halt degrading damage to the teeth. Dental technology has transformed the way in which dentists work. Now, they are more prepared than ever to help you overcome your dental phobias to make way for a comfortable and relaxing appointment, not to mention bright and shiny teeth!
The Five Useful Tips
Now with this in mind, it’s time to prepare yourself for your visit. Follow these useful tips to ease your anxiety before your appointment:
- Speak To The Dentist – Make the dentist aware of your dental phobia’s so they’re best prepared to help you overcome them. Share your feelings and fears and the dentist can work together with you to help change your perspective on dentists and to become more comfortable during your visits.
- Perform Meditation – Pro-active breathing and relaxing techniques removes any negative thoughts to make way for peace and relaxation. Performing meditation helps calm your nerves and distracts your mind from treatment.
- Bring Somebody Along – Moral support will go a long way in relaxing you during your visit. Bring somebody along who can reassure you of the perks of visiting the dentist rather than the negative aspects.
- Recognize Your Tension Muscles – Perform simple exercises to focus your mind on relaxation. By releasing the tension in your muscle groups, you’ll become aware of how much tension you hold. Once you’re aware, begin to release that tension and see how relaxed you become.
- Check-In With A Trustworthy Dentist – When anxious, the last thing you need is to attend your appointment with an unhelpful dentist. Find a dentist that you’re most comfortable with to help relax you. Find somebody you can trust to get you through your appointments without fear.
Read here on how your child can overcome fears of the dentist
Modern technology today also allows patients to select sedation therapy to ease fears. Sedation therapy is a relaxation procedure to help you feel consciously relaxed. It will not put you to sleep but is a worthwhile solution choice in case your fears haven’t been accounted for your anxiety at home. Consult your trusted dentist for the availability of sedation therapy.
Sutherland Dental is ready to make sure your appointment delivers the best results for your teeth. Contact us now and check yourself in by clicking here!